[Nut-upsuser] Device recommendation Salicru

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Wed Aug 19 11:22:26 BST 2020

On 8/19/20 12:55 PM, Marc Franquesa wrote:
> Thanks all for the quick responses on the question (always a good sign
> of this mailing list).
>
> (Tim Dawson, Manuel Wolfshant):
> Regarding root cause of my current problem pointing to a faulty
> battery, this is not the first time that someone points to it. However
> I made a simple test with the vendor tools (Windows) and didn't found
> any issue, as well as they discharged normally (although only tested
> without load).

That test is not very relevant, unfortunately. You can easily get false
results ( as in battery OK when it is not really OK ). The only relevant
test is under real load, which is why I suggested using a small motor or
a light bulb.

> I have no other ways to test the battery themselves, I'm not quite
> electricity-tech to make some hackish testing (and dangerous).

It's your choice but unless you short circuit the terminals which you
should not do with ANY battery, there is no danger. It's as dangerous as
working on the electrical system of a car or with a battery for a
flashlight. True, it's 12V vs 1.5V but still not dangerous. All you have
to do is to disconnect the battery ( which you know how to do, since you
replaced it once ), connect a lamp with a 12V light bulb to the
terminals and use a clock to monitor how fast does the battery discharge.

> (David Zomaya).
> Regarding Tripplite, I found many active threads on the mailing list
> so I consider it everytime as an alternative, however those devices
> are a bit pro/expensive too and they are harder to get/find support on
> my country compared with other vendors. However feel free to suggest a
> model like the Ellipse ECO 1200VA (in power and price).
>
> Also I found many reports of NUT working devices on the mailing list
> which are not reported on the HCL
> (https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html) which makes me ask if
> this list is maintained/updated as well as the acknowledges section
> (https://networkupstools.org/acknowledgements.html)

Unfortunately that list is rather unmaintained.