[Nut-upsuser] Status of java interface

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 22:03:30 GMT 2020

On Jan 31, 2020, at 12:13 PM, Mark McMillan <mark at nc-mcmillans.com> wrote:

> I would prefer to use Java as a programming platform for this application, but I see the NUT Java project has not been updated in a long time (7 years?!). Is it being tested with new NUT releases or has been abandoned?

The NUT protocol has been backwards-compatible for 17 years (since NUT 1.4), so I would hope that Java has aged as gracefully. I tend not to use Java for these sorts of projects, so I am probably not a good judge of whether it would be better to update the jNut codebase, or start from scratch.

As mentioned in the jNut README*, the Java library does not support SSL/TLS. That said, NUT's upsd does not have a way to require the STARTTLS command, so for a remote installation, you may want to consider a VPN, or a web API behind HTTP+TLS.

* https://github.com/networkupstools/jNut/blob/master/jNut/README#L70