[Nut-upsuser] Purpose of LOGIN and LOGOUT

Mark McMillan mark at nc-mcmillans.com
Fri Feb 21 20:43:26 GMT 2020

What is the purpose of the LOGIN <upsdevice> and LOGOUT commands in the
network protocol? It seems if I supply USERNAME and PASSWORD then I am able
to perform any operations on the device, so why would I need to use LOGIN?
And since LOGIN takes a <upsdevice> but LOGOUT does not, I guess that
LOGOUT is implicitly associated with the last (most recent) LOGIN? Which
means a single client cannot be logged into more than one device at a time?

Trying to understand the security model here...

Thanks
-Mark