[Nut-upsuser] Delayed UPS shutdown

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Jan 2 11:12:41 GMT 2020

On Wed, 1 Jan 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:
> But I should preface this with the fact that I have a 20kw nat gas fired
> standby with a sub 10 second startup time in the back yard.
>
> The ups really should be smart enough to take a delayed shutdown command
> and be able to do without further commanding from the monitoring nut
> running machine, something I would think on the minute or minute-thirty
> delay range, giving the controlling nut machine time to complete its own
> gracefull shutdown.
>
> Is this capability something that can be bought today? I don't see it
> being advertized in the propaganda when looking for replacement.

NUT is capable of managing timers and doing delayed UPS shutdowns
for example by including an "offdelay = 90" declaration in ups.conf

> Comments/suggestions?

Perhaps I don't understand your setup.  I assumed that when the 20kW standby
generator takes over, it substitutes itself for the power utility.  Your
machining installation sees the wall power return, and upsd sees that the UPS
status is now [OL].  No need to shutdown the UPS.

Roger