[Nut-upsuser] Belkin USB UPS Not Turning Off

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Jan 1 21:08:38 GMT 2020

On Wednesday 01 January 2020 15:27:32 Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> On 1/1/20 9:56 PM, David White wrote:
> > On 1/1/2020 11:49 AM, David White wrote:
> >> Hi Roger and, as always, thanks!
> >>
> >> I really do not want to wait very long before shutting down things
> >> on this UPS. What I think I am doing (or at least trying to do) is
> >> to execute a script on the host machine when the UPS is detected by
> >> NUT to be on battery power.
> >>
> >> That script sleeps 20 seconds to ensure that this was not just a
> >> power blip (which happens here often) but a real power outage.
> >> After 20 seconds, the script checks the UPS status via upsc and if
> >> it is no longer OB, power is deemed restored and the script exits.
> >>
> >> If, after 20 seconds, UPS status remains OB then the event is
> >> deemed a true power outage and I want to shut down what I can
> >> cleanly. To do this, the script issues remote shutdown commands to
> >> a set of network connected devices also living on this UPS (but
> >> sadly not able to run NUT). As its final step, it issues a command
> >> to shut the host machine down.
> >>
> >> It seems from what you say above, I need to issue "/sbin/upsdrvctl
> >> shutdown" in there somewhere - obviously before I shut the host
> >> machine down. I will have to test this to see exactly what that
> >> command does. When run w/out arguments, the usage says shutdown
> >> shuts down UPS drivers. I am not clear if this means that the UPS
> >> itself will be powered off or if simply NUT is shutdown.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > Well, I just tried "/sbin/upsdrvctl shutdown" and while I see some
> > output and a message shutting down in 30 seconds, nothing happens to
> > the host machine or the UPS. Hmmm.
>
> that command  only stops the drivers. generally speaking, upsdrvctl
> operates *only* on the drivers.
>
> pi at pi:~# upsdrvctl --help
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4
> upsdrvctl: invalid option -- '-'
> Starts and stops UPS drivers via ups.conf.
>
> usage: upsdrvctl [OPTIONS] (start | stop | shutdown) [<ups>]
>
>    -h                    display this help
>    -r <path>             drivers will chroot to <path>
>    -t                    testing mode - prints actions without doing
> them -u <user>             drivers started will switch from root to
> <user> -D                    raise debugging level
>    start                 start all UPS drivers in ups.conf
>    start <ups>           only start driver for UPS <ups>
>    stop                  stop all UPS drivers in ups.conf
>    stop <ups>            only stop driver for UPS <ups>
> *  shutdown              shutdown all UPS drivers in ups.conf*
>    shutdown <ups>        only shutdown UPS <ups>

Excuse me for butting in, but this thread points out a concern of mine,
to.

But I should preface this with the fact that I have a 20kw nat gas fired
standby with a sub 10 second startup time in the back yard.

The ups really should be smart enough to take a delayed shutdown command
and be able to do without further commanding from the monitoring nut
running machine, something I would think on the minute or minute-thirty
delay range, giving the controlling nut machine time to complete its own
gracefull shutdown.

Is this capability something that can be bought today? I don't see it
being advertized in the propaganda when looking for replacement. So I've
never completed the autoshutdown procedures, I just let it sit there and
beep until it hits the LB limit. I do see in this new APC, a 120 second
shutdown delay, but have not attemped to program for that yet. I should
also hope that the disppearance of the OB status should result in
cancelling any ups shutdown delays in progress. That I han't tested for
either.

Comments/suggestions?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)