[Nut-upsuser] nut on armhf, r-pi4b IOW

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jan 9 21:38:54 GMT 2020

On Wednesday 08 January 2020 12:01:08 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Wednesday 08 January 2020 09:37:10 Roger Price wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Jan 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > ● nut-monitor.service - Network UPS Tools - power device monitor
> > > and shutdown controller
> > >   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nut-monitor.service;
> > > enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
> > >   Active: failed (Result: protocol) since Tue 2020-01-07 07:19:19
> > > EST; 116ms ago
> > >  Process: 32343 ExecStart=/sbin/upsmon (code=exited,
> > > status=0/SUCCESS)
> > >
> > > Jan 07 07:19:19 rpi4 systemd[1]: Starting Network UPS Tools -
> > > power device monitor and shutdown controller...
> > > Jan 07 07:19:19 rpi4 upsmon[32343]: upsmon disabled, please adjust
> > > the configuration to your needs
> > > Jan 07 07:19:19 rpi4 upsmon[32343]: Then set MODE to a suitable
> > > value in /etc/nut/nut.conf to enable it
> > >
> > > So, is there enough help in the man pages?, or do you see any
> > > showstoppers in the above trace?
> >
> > The configuration file nut.conf is supplied with the declaration
> > MODE=none which is a built-in showstopper.  The user is expected to
> > change this to show that NUT has been configured.  There are more
> > details in man nut.conf.
> >
> > Roger
>
> ATM, its a bit cold here to go putzing around although I might get
> some free time later this afternoon to go install this toy ups.

When I went to install the ups, I found I had wired that 5 volt psu
direct, so I'll need to do a clean shutdown, break into the supply line
yadda yadda. At that point I found that the 2nd of 3 rosewill usb-3.1 to
sata adapters had died. Gave up for the night and walked away.

Today, after loseing 400something at the property tax office, I found
another adapter, so I unmounted it, swapped the cable, ran an e2fsck on
it which gave the drive a clean bill of health instantly.  So I've now
written the unpacked 2.7.4 tarball to /media/pi/workspace/nut-2.7.4.

The copy operation over an sshfs share, by mc, made it all owned by pi,
which is me on that rpi4.

Since I already know the cable works and udev finds it by name, I need
to ./configure it for usb-only access, but a ./configure --help isn't
that helpfull about what else I can disable.

So for starters, what's the best ./configure command line?

Thanks folks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis