[Nut-upsuser] System with MGE UPS shuts down too early

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Jan 24 16:28:18 GMT 2020

On January 24, 2020 6:13:31 PM GMT+02:00, "Georgi D. Sotirov" <gdsotirov at gmail.com> wrote:
>OK, my UPS turned out to be older that I thought. I apparently bought
>and installed it in September 2016 (not 2017 as I initially wrote).
>That
>makes for over 3 years of work, which is over the life expectancy of
>the
>batteries,
Good batteries can last 4-5 years. The chinese ones available in most shops last cca 2 years.
I use Panasonic (ordered from SOS Electronic) and they last 3-4 years. Even more.

>so I ordered new battery pack.
>
>However, how could I make a full charge/discharge test? Should I
>disable
>SHUTDOWNCMD in upsmon.conf? Or is there any other way to ignore forced
>shutdown? I'd like to see how long it would go until the batteries
>actually drain.

Disconnect the computer from the UPS, connect a dummy load (like 2-3 * 100W tungsten light bulbs) , turn off the nut client on the computer. Start a stopwatch. Unplug the UPS from mains and wait for it to die. Read the value on the stopwatch.

wolfy