[Nut-upsuser] Status of java interface

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Fri Jan 31 18:07:50 GMT 2020

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020, Mark McMillan wrote:

> Hello, I am embarking on a project using NUT on a Raspberry pi talking to a
> Cyberpower UPS for storm event (e.g. hurricane) power management at a remote
> location.
> I would prefer to use Java...

Hi, If your project is to run remotely from the pi, then you will need to
consider the security aspects of the communication.  NUT's upsd supports a
version of TLS so old that recent TLS implementations will not talk to it.  An
example is the "recent" version 3.4 of Python released in March 2014 which is
itself so old that it is no longer supported and has no more security fixes.

The same problem may well exist for Java.

Roger