[Nut-upsuser] grep ID /etc/os-release

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Nov 19 14:09:40 GMT 2020

I would like to build a list of the user names and configuration file locations
for the most common distributions which include NUT.  So far I have:

  Distrib    User   Config directory
  debian     nut    /etc/nut/
  opensuse   upsd   /etc/ups/

These will be used to produce more user-friendly tools and documentation for
NUT. If you use some other distribution, could you report

1. How does the distribution identify itself?
    Suggestion: command  grep ID /etc/os-release

2. Which non-root user is used to run the upsd and upsmon daemons?
    Suggestion: command  ps -ef | grep upsd | grep -v -E "grep|cupsd"

3. Where does the distribution place the NUT configuration files?
    Suggestion 1: command  locate upsd.conf | grep -E "^/etc" | grep -v cups
    Suggestion 2: command  ls -d /etc/*/* | grep "upsd.conf" | grep -v cups

I am particularly interested in Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu, Mint, Arch and ***BSD.

My thanks for any help you can provide.  Roger