[Nut-upsuser] trying to talk to TrippLite SMX1500LCD using RPI & NUT

Cor Koelewijn cor.koelewijn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:45:48 GMT 2020

Over the past several days I have tried to talk to my newly acquired
TrippLite SMX1500LCD but it doesn't like to talk back to me.
I have installed: apt update && apt install nut nut-client nut-server on my
RPI4 no problem.
When I stick in the USB cable I can see it with lsusb: "Bus 001 Device 006:
ID 09ae:3016 Tripp Lite"
I configure my /etc/nut/ups.conf
[TrippLite]
        driver = usbhid-ups
        port = auto
        desc = "TrippLite SMX1500LCDT"
and when I try: "/lib/nut/usbhid-ups -a TrippLite" it answers:
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.41 (2.7.4)
USB communication driver 0.33
Using subdriver: TrippLite HID 0.82
Should be good right..?
But when I do: "upsdrvctl stop" and then "upsdrvctl start" it refuses to
start again with a msg:
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.41 (2.7.4)
USB communication driver 0.33
No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
Not until I unplug and then plug the usb cable in afresh will it start
again...
I looked up a usbreset script, installed it but it won't do the job.
Only when I physically unplug it and plug it in again will it start.
Is there a way I can do something about that?
Because after that, I tried all kinds of ways to see if I can talk to the
thing but I am completely failing in it.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cor Koelewijn,
Tororo - Uganda