[Nut-upsuser] Can't get CyberPower UPS to work with Raspberry Pi 4

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 14:06:08 BST 2020

On Oct 23, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Robert Stocker <kneadtoknow at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks again for your patience. I'm still learning how to deal with systemctl myself (and starting from, I'm sure, a much lower level of understanding), so if I've neglected to restart or start something, please let me know.
>
> I made the change to /etc/nut/upsd.conf.
> I restarted upsdrvctl, which reported back:
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4
> Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.41 (2.7.4)
> USB communication driver 0.33
> Using subdriver: CyberPower HID 0.4
>
> /root/ups-info still returns
> Unable to retrieve UPS information

I can't speak to the ups-info script (I might have missed where that came from - wasn't in the zip file from the RPi forum thread), but there are three basic components needed for NUT monitoring and shutdown:

* the driver (which it looks like upsdrvctl is starting)
* the network server (upsd; probably not running?)
* the monitoring and shutdown client (upsmon)

The easiest way to tell if upsd is working is to run "upsc -l" on the same system, which will list the NUT UPS names, and then run e.g. "upsc mge" (replacing "mge" with the name returned by "upsc -l").

If you run systemctl, you should see something like this:

$ systemctl |grep nut-
nut-driver.service      loaded active running   Network UPS Tools - power device driver controller
nut-monitor.service     loaded active running   Network UPS Tools - power device monitor and shutdown controller
nut-server.service      loaded active running   Network UPS Tools - power devices information server

For each service that isn't running, try e.g. "systemctl start nut-server" and if that is not successful, you should be able to get more information from "systemctl status nut-server".

> Here's the updated (and again truncated) output of sudo /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DD -a <devicename>

^ This debug output is from the driver talking to the hardware. We won't need to look at that again unless there is an issue at that layer. If there is, and we need to revisit that layer, please gzip and attach the output.

> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Nut-upsuser digest..."

^ Please note. Also, the mailing list has a limit of 40kB/message, otherwise messages need to be manually approved. If you don't need HTML formatting, that will help cut down on message size.