[Nut-upsuser] RFC - Propose to express dates using ISO 8601 when possible

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Fri Aug 20 16:37:58 BST 2021

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021, Jim Klimov via Nut-upsuser wrote:

> It is a bit unclear what "or otherwise and Combined date and time
> representations" means. An example of ISO 8601 date representation (one of
> many offered by the standard) "or otherwise"? Which combined date and time
> would we take - e.g. YYYYMMDDTHHMMSSZ (literal T separator and Z for "zulu"
> UTC timezone)? Or with dashes and colons? Or...?

Since we are concerned only with dates, and not time of day, things are a little
simpler.  We follow ISO 8601 clause 5.2.1 Calendar dates, and we don't have to
worry about timezones.  The only real choice is between the format YYYYMMDD and
YYYY-MM-DD.  Since our dates are intended primarily for humans it seems better
to use the format YYYY-MM-DD which has better readability.  It's always possible
to extract the YYYYMMDD number if this is eventually needed.

Roger

See also RFC 3339 "Date and Time on the Internet: Timestamps"