[Nut-upsuser] New User Questions (again) - With Belkin USB

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 23:14:58 GMT 2021

On Jan 24, 2021, at 2:13 PM, David White via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:

> Charles,
>
> Once again thanks for your help and patience with me. I did more investigation of things, made some more group changes and even edited my hosts file since localhost was in there twice (once on 127.0.0.1 and once on some ip6 entry). Somewhere in all of that, I seem to have things running and I can see both the blazer_usb driver and upsmon in the results of a ps command. I can also issue a upsc belkinusb command and see the ups properties.

Good to hear, even if a bit mystifying as to what was wrong before.

> This is a single computer on this ups. And I simply want to have a script called when the ups reports going on battery. do I need the nut-client going at all?

You will need some sort of client to poll upsd to see when the UPS is on battery, and the usual answer is upsmon (which I believe is in the nut-client package on most versions of Ubuntu). See the NOTIFYCMD part of the upsmon.conf documentation:

https://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upsmon.conf.html

Some examples and a Python alternative to upsmon are documented here:

http://rogerprice.org/NUT/ConfigExamples.A5.pdf