[Nut-upsuser] Internet Draft: LOGIN and LIST CLIENT

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Jan 28 09:25:24 GMT 2021

The NUT protocol provides a LOGIN <upsname> "to limit access to the UPS unit(s)
to which it is attached".  This implies that it is a "login to the ups" feature
and not a "login to upsd" feature.  However if upsd is attached to two UPS's,
and upsmon logs into one, and then the other, the login to the second is
rejected ALREADY-LOGGED-IN.

Question: Is it "Login to UPS" or "Login to upsd daemon"?

I propose saying in the RFC that LOGIN is to the UPS, with a note saying
current practice does not follow this and behaves as a login to the upsd
daemon.

The response to LIST CLIENT ups1 is typically

BEGIN LIST CLIENT ups1
CLIENT ups1 ::1
CLIENT ups1 198.51.100.2
END LIST CLIENT ups1

Questions:

1) Does this mean that one or two clients are logged into ups1 ?

2) Why doesn't the listing say who (presumably an identifiable master/primary)
is logged in?

I would expect to see a response such as

BEGIN LIST CLIENT ups1
CLIENT ups1 ups-manager     ::1 198.51.100.2
CLIENT ups1 ups-2nd-manager 198.51.100.36
END LIST CLIENT ups1

I propose saying in the RFC that the response is still the subject of further
study.

Roger