[Nut-upsuser] NUT with hibernation works only once

David Kačerek davidkacerek at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 03:41:19 BST 2021

Hello,

I've got a problem with NUT. My configuration of NUT is based on the
"Workstation with timed shutdown" scenario, chpt. 7 described in the Config
Examples book from R. Price.

There are 2 principal differences I've made to the configuration on my PC
though - no heartbeat and the shutdown command changed to hibernation. For the
sake of immediate verification of NUT operation I have only 1 timer set in
place in my CMDSCRIPT temporarily for an immediate hibernation after the plug
is pulled from the wall socket. Once I solve my problem I'll put some five-
minute-warning-timer or so in there.

I've verified that when the SHUTDOWNCMD  is set to "systemctl poweroff" in
upsmon.conf, it works as expected. But If I put "systemctl hibernate" in
there, it works only once.

Before the hibernation, I can see all NUT-related services are up an running
(see "Before hibernation.png" file). Then the hibernation takes place
and when the PC is woken up from the 1st hibernation and the plug is pulled
out again, no ONBATT event is detected and no hibernation is carried out.
Furthermore, upon checking the status of nut-monitor service again, its status
is changed to "inactive (dead)"  (see "After waking up.png" file).

There's also some weird behavior going on after the 1st hibernation: If I try
to start the nut-monitor service, suddenly my shutdown-timer kicks in and the
PC proceeds to another hibernation unless I stop the service right away.

Another weird behavior following waking up after the 1st hibernation is, that
if I try to restart or shutdown my PC - at the point of systemd reporting
"Reached target Reboot" or "Reached target Power-Off" on the virtual console
respectively - my UPS kills off power and shuts down itself for about 52
seconds till it powers on. I know the UPS should normally shut itself down
some time after shutting down the PC, but it shouldn't go down If I restart or
shutdown the PC myself.

For my NUT configuration, please see "NUT.report" file created by R.
Price's "nut-report" script. For the NUT activity log taken after waking up
from the 1st hibernation, see nut-journal.log file created by nut-
journal script.

My UPS model is Cyber Power BR700ELCD. I know it's not mentioned in the
hardware compatibility list at the NUT web site, but both nut-scanner and
upsdrvctl successfully detect the UPS and upsc shows its status.

You can access all aforementioned files here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Pnyl2DkkN4bNvsntJpRVTe6-O8MmV7pw?usp=sharing

Can You please help me with my problem?

Thank You,
David K.