[Nut-upsuser] PowerWalker VI 650 SB - Driver failed to start

Jim Klimov jimklimov at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 15:24:37 BST 2021

Hello,

Looking at logged NUT issue discussions like
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/475,
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/483 and
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/646 I see people did have
success with models named similar to yours. So generally it should be
supported, with "liebert-hid" or better with "mge-hid" subdriver according
to reports... But then there were also users for whom it did not work, and
those for whom it disconnected after a few hours (causing a Stale Data
problem).

I would suggest first ruling out systemic issues (device node permissions
vs. user the driver runs as, some kernel quirks?, possibly a libusb version
mismatch - official NUT releases only offered libusb-0.1 compatibility and
solutions for libusb-1.0 were not merged yet, but there are branches on
GitHub to try if you would - linked from issue #300). Those "no route to
host" and "no such file" lines look most incorrect.

Does `nut-scanner` also fail to find and connect to the device?

Do you have udev or similar system that might grab the device and not let
NUT have it?

You can also try to pick configuration options in ups.conf section for your
device, or via `-x` CLI options while you experiment on command line, such
as to try setting the subdriver to use, or the `usb_set_altinterface=1` so
that the NUT driver tells libusb to disconnect other consumers from the
device, if I read the docs correctly.

Finally, it feels feasible that like some other recent devices, this one
might have a new revision where USB HID is not exposed on "interface 0" -
there is a PR open at https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/1044 to
handle other interface numbers, so far for a couple of known devices where
that is needed.

Jim