[Nut-upsuser] Maximum length of password

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Apr 6 12:32:44 BST 2022

On Wednesday, 6 April 2022 03:39:19 EDT Roger Price wrote:
> Is there a maximum length for a password in NUT?  Should I specify 15
> or 31 characters in the grammmar?
>
> The IETF are wedded to US ASCII, where character = byte, so I will
> ignore the question of multibyte characters.
>
> Roger

Coming from a user with an oar about the size of a toothpick, I would be
far more concerned with the minimum size, make 'em work to find it if its
a worthwhile target.

Some random 3 or 4 word combo will be at least 15 chars, so thats the
minimum, and 31 chars max will take, its been said, till the universe
runs down.  Advances in computer tech might cut that to 10 years in
another 20 years time though.

Hard and fast rules s/b in the eye of the beerholder so they should be
optional. 40 chars would be ok for the ups backing up the control
circuitry of a nuclear power plant, or one of the generating stations
just west of Farmington NM. Either of those maliciously shut down would
put 20 million in the dark.

OTOH, mine isn't a big enough target to make it worhwhile so I don't
think mine even needs a separate passwd. The guy in charge, with sudo
rights, should be able to set that, or not, at install time.

Take care and stay well everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis