[Nut-upsuser] Maximum length of password

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Apr 7 01:57:44 BST 2022

On Wednesday, 6 April 2022 20:23:41 EDT gene heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday, 6 April 2022 16:26:07 EDT Roger Price wrote:
> > >
> > > I would be far more concerned with the minimum size, make 'em work
> > > find it if its a worthwhile target.
> >
> > Finally I set the maximum length for a password to 63 characters, and
> > I added a note saying that it is a site responsibility to set
> > minimum sizes, rather than a matter for the grammar.

> > > That caveat might be ok but not for american keyboards as we don't
> > > know how in 99% of the cases, to command one of these keyboards to
> > > generate that accented character.
> >
> > It is very easy to type accented letters on an American keyboard.
> > I'm
> > typing this on a very solid 25 year old American keyboard, using
> > Debian's Generic 105-key US International layout with dead keys.
> > E.g.
> > USERNAME Napoléon
>
> I believe that what I'm using here also on a fresh logitek k360. Which
> echo's correctly in the kde5 kmail composer, but its a question mark in
> the reader. I should investigate that diff.

And it turns out to display properly in the reader only if I set the
charset to auto, utf7 or utf8 do not properly display the accented e
above, and I do not have a "compose" key on this keyboard. And the
keyboard choice is made by the shape of the keys on this keyboard, they
are square sided, and machining swarf ( the cuttings from the tool,)
don't follow a key down and lock it down, getting wedged in the side
tapers of what you'd call normal keys. Thats extremely dangerous if the
stuck key is movement key. None of my machines exerts less than half a
ton if it hits something thats not supposed to be there. Like a human
hand.