[Nut-upsuser] UPS restart after power-off

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Apr 29 12:24:23 BST 2022

I have little useful wisdom, but:

Phil Chadwick <phil.chadwick at claremont.farm> writes:

> I have NUT installed on FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p11.  It's installed from a
> standard package, derived from nut-2.7.4.tar.gz.

That's now out of date; 2.8.0 is out.  (I don't have any reason to think
that is related to your issue.)

> I am suffering from a bug regarding the "ondelay" setting in ups.conf:
>
>     https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/625
>
> The "ondelay" setting in ups.conf is applied to "ups.delay.start" inside the
> UPS non-volatile memory.
>
> The difference between CP1500EPFCLCD UPSs and others is:
>
>   - other UPSs apply ups.delay.start seconds AFTER wall power returns; and
>   - the CP1500EPFCLCD applies ups.delay.start seconds AFTER shutdown.
>
> So if I set "offdelay = 90" and "ondelay = 100" the UPS re-starts 10 seconds
> after it shuts down.  The only way to stop this (and leave the UPS shut down
> until wall power returns) is to set "ondelay = 0".
>
> This means that the CP1500EPFCLCD (and probably similar CyberPower UPSs) have
> no option to delay the power up load.  It's always immediate.  So there is
> no chance to charge the batteries, or allow another UPS to bring up the
> network first.

Probably you don't want to do this and shouldn't (vs getting a UPS that
works correctly), but it would seem possible to have a microcontroller
that boots and waits a bit and then closes a relay, so that your loads
don't get power for a while even though the UPS is onl