[Nut-upsuser] NUT can't connect to USB UPS on OpenBSD

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 03:01:14 BST 2022

On Aug 10, 2022, at 9:15 PM, Marc-André Harbec via Nut-upsuser wrote:
> # These are all the USB devices on my machine
> ❯ doas ls -l /dev/usb*
> crw-r-----  1 root  usb   61,   0 Jun 24 16:21 /dev/usb0
> crw-r-----  1 root  usb   61,   1 Jun 24 16:21 /dev/usb1
> crw-r-----  1 root  usb   61,   2 Jun 24 16:21 /dev/usb2

I haven't done much initial configuration of USB devices on *BSD in a while, but I think you'll need a different device node for libusb.

http://dant.net.ru/calomel/nut_ups.html implies that it is /dev/ugen*

Does OpenBSD have an equivalent for FreeBSD's devd, to set permissions on a specific USB device node based on the USB IDs? We have some devd information here: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/tree/master/scripts/devd

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/tools/nut-usbinfo.pl#L181-L196 also implies that on FreeBSD, `chmod g+rw` is needed on the appropriate device node.

If that fails, I'd recommend using ktrace to find out what is failing, such that you get the "no USB buses found" error.