[Nut-upsuser] NUT can't connect to USB UPS on OpenBSD

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Aug 11 16:23:51 BST 2022

Charles Lepple via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net>
writes:

> If that fails, I'd recommend using ktrace to find out what is failing,
> such that you get the "no USB buses found" error.

Definitely.  I would actually recommend ktrace first.  Then just
`kdump | egrep NAMI` will probably find the issue fast.

I use nut on NetBSD, and have done "manual kludge udev" by knowing what
serial port my UPS is going to be on  and in rc.local chowning it to nut
and linking it to /dev/tty.ups which is in the config.  That's serial,
not USB, but the same thing should work.

And agreed on /dev/ugen; I have a USB printer on /dev/ugen1.01

I suspect that nut needs to read /dev/usbN (for the bus that the UPS is
on) and read-write access to the ugen file for the HID endpoint, which
might be ugen, or it might be /dev/uhid2 (assuming it's like NetBSD in
this regard).