[Nut-upsuser] NUT Client Not Working, Server OK

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 03:36:34 GMT 2022

On Jan 26, 2022, at 3:01 PM, William Cole via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply and help.
>
> I admit to still learning how to use NUT.
>
> My general NUT-use plan is as follows: the NUT server Pi controls a number of network devices; router, VoIP, mesh pod, fiber connection, etc., but no computers other than the Pi server.  It would shut down last.  The client Pi controls two PCs and would shut down first after shutting down its attached devices.  If this is not workable, please let me know.

That is pretty much the textbook NUT master/slave arrangement.

Additional information is in section 5 of Roger's configuration guide: http://rogerprice.org/NUT/ConfigExamples.A5.pdf

> I have made the change to the client's ups.conf adding the entry for APCES750 [and keeping it on the server's ups.conf].

You can keep it in the server's ups.conf, but you may want to make a note that it is really for the other system (in case you get log messages from one of the startup scripts that starts drivers). The ups.conf file only needs to list directly-attached (USB, serial, etc) UPSes, not the remote ones.

>   However, I am now getting this message set when I run sudo service nut-client status on the client:
>
> UPS [APCES750 at 192.168.101] connect failed: Connection failure: Network is unreachable
> Master privileges unavailable on UPS [APCES850 at 192.168.1.100]
> Response: [ERR ACCESS-DENIED]

Two separate issues: the first does look like an authentication issue.

> UPS [ [APCES750 at 192.168.101] connect failed: Connection failure:Connection refused
>
> UPS [ [APCES750 at 192.168.101] connect failed: Connection failure:Connection refused
> UPS [ [APCES750 at 192.168.101] connect failed: Connection failure:Connection refused
> UPS [ [APCES750 at 192.168.101] connect failed: Connection failure:Connection refused
>
> UPS [ [APCES750 at 192.168.101] connect failed: Connection failure:Connection refused

For this, make sure that upsd.conf has a "LISTEN" directive that isn't just listening to 127.0.0.1

I'd recommend "LISTEN 0.0.0.0" (and use firewall rules if you want to limit access to one network, or even just the client Pi)