[Nut-upsuser] Info on Cyber Power CP1500AVRLCDa

stefanos at karandreas.gr stefanos at karandreas.gr
Mon Jun 6 22:39:38 BST 2022

On 2022-06-05 09:06, Phil Chadwick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD.
>
> I live in a rural location and experience frequent power failures.
>
> I run a nut server on a FreeBSD host named "sherman".  It has a USB
> connection to the CP1500EPFCLCD, using the usbhid-ups driver.  I don't
> use
> nut clients, preferring to use one-shot root privileged ssh keys to
> execute
> remote commands (i.e. shutdown) on the "network peers" of the nut
> server.
>
> The CP1500EPFCLCD has firmware "issues", and I expect that there's a
> very
> good chance that the CP1300EPFCLCD is the same.
>
> The USB connection experiences a transient disconnect when power drops.

If the connection loss lasts couple sec max I guess it's something I and
NUT
can live with, since as you mention it doesn't seem to affect how NUT
operates.
I received another reply from the list that mentioned that for the 900VA
model
there was no problem with the USB connection. I have to wonder whether
that is
a result of the ephemeral connection loss.

> The major firmware issue I tripped over is with "ups.delay.start".
> See:
>

> https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2018-October/011253.html
>
> The nut manual says set ups.delay.start (default 30) as the interval to
> wait
> before restarting the load (seconds) [AFTER UPS power returns].  The
> CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD UPS restarts ups.delay.start seconds after the
> UPS
> is shutdown REGARDLESS of the wall power status.  i.e. regardless of
> mains
> status:
>
>   - ondelay=0,  UPS powers on the load when mains return
>   - ondelay=-1, UPS never powers on the load, even when mains return
>   - ondelay=xx, UPS powers on the load after xx (roughly) seconds
>                 after UPS shutdown is executed.
>
> I have reported this issues to CyberPower support, but got no
> satisfactory
> resolution.  It's a serious problem...
>
> This bug makes using "battery.charge.low" pretty much impossible,
> because
> with a low battery you need to re-charge the battery AFTER wall power
> returns and BEFORE restarting the load to power up the clients -- lest
> you go into an infinite shutdown/reboot loop.  The faulty handling of
> ups.delay.start prevents the battery from re-charging to a workable
> level
> after discharge (unless you set ondelay=-1, which means you can't power
> up automatically).

Can you share a link to where the manual describes ups.delay.start? I
found
some information but not the complete description you mention here.
For ondelay=0 what happens? The load instantly returns on UPS shutdown
or
the bug doesn't trigger?

Thanks,
Stefanos