[Nut-upsuser] ISE review of I-D: deprecate command VER?

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Sun Mar 20 15:02:36 GMT 2022

I received the following comment from the Independent Submissions Editor (ISE):

  The command VER is hazardous because it encourages exploiting of
  implementation peculiarities that are not well documented in a
  protocol.  The best example of such a failure is the browser version
  field in HTTP.  A complete disaster.  You should warn against use of
  this command, or even better, deprecate it.

I was not aware of the disaster in the browser version field, but I will warn
against use of VER, and deprecate it, if you agree.

Roger