[Nut-upsuser] finding a common abstraction for reporting

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sun Mar 20 23:44:14 GMT 2022

Jim Klimov <jimklimov+nut at gmail.com> writes:

> As for "how much NUT" is doing, it depends :)
>
> For many of the values where mapping tables are involved, it just reads
> some number or string from the protocol encapsulation (usb-hid, snmp,
> netxml...) and passes it on. However, that entry's mapping may also involve
> scaling (multiply by a factor) or arbitrary subdriver-defined mapping
> functions (name phases from a number, print ISO date from country-preferred
> input, etc.) as the most common conversions.

Thanks.  I can see why it is that way.

I was wondering essentially about having a standardized UPS mib, both
names and units, and having each driver translate into that standard set
of values.

I'm monitoring 3, UPSes of 2 different brands, in 3 locations, heading
for probably 3 types in 5 lociatons.  I want a common view of how the
power is, without having to think about UPS type.  (I realize that I may
be the only one doing that.)

I will probably do a bit of this in the ups monitoring to mqtt python
script I'm working on.  Partly that's because some of them use apcupsd,
but partly because it seems easier.