[Nut-upsuser] finding a common abstraction for reporting

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sun Mar 20 23:51:46 GMT 2022

On 3/21/22 01:44, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Jim Klimov <jimklimov+nut at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> As for "how much NUT" is doing, it depends :)
>>
>> For many of the values where mapping tables are involved, it just reads
>> some number or string from the protocol encapsulation (usb-hid, snmp,
>> netxml...) and passes it on. However, that entry's mapping may also involve
>> scaling (multiply by a factor) or arbitrary subdriver-defined mapping
>> functions (name phases from a number, print ISO date from country-preferred
>> input, etc.) as the most common conversions.
> Thanks.  I can see why it is that way.
>
> I was wondering essentially about having a standardized UPS mib, both
> names and units, and having each driver translate into that standard set
> of values.
>
> I'm monitoring 3, UPSes of 2 different brands, in 3 locations, heading
> for probably 3 types in 5 lociatons.  I want a common view of how the
> power is, without having to think about UPS type.  (I realize that I may
> be the only one doing that.)

You are far from being the only one :)

I have multiple UPSes on 3 continents (4 or 5 models of APC UPSs, one
Ablerex, some Eaton and some obscure brands no one has heard of but).
Thing is that in some places it's quite difficult to find the model or
even brand you'd like to use. Especially outside EU and most specially
in African countries :(