[Nut-upsuser] ISE review of I-D: deprecate command VER?

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 08:49:56 GMT 2022

Fair points and reminders above, thanks.

Posted https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/1336 to update the
NUT_NETVERSION=1.3 macro in code and docs, as well as a few more cases of
"2.7.5" bumped to "2.8.0".

Notably, codebase currently does not mention a "PROTVER" - should the alias
to "NETVER" be made while we are at it? Any more similar changes I missed
to match proposed RFE'd protocol?

Looking at implementation, currently the NUT_NETVERSION is only reported in
`netmisc.c` as response to `NETVER` command. It does not seem any NUT code
requests or consults this value (handling unknown commands meaningfully
instead), so it is more informative for third-party code.

As for releasing "NUT 2.8.0" (nee 2.7.5), I think the stack of "urgent" PRs
and ideas is running dry so it is getting more to the "make it shiny" point
and testing extensively so it's not a flop, and then address
second-priorities as 2.8.1 etc.

Jim Klimov