[Nut-upsuser] Shutdown variables

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Sun Nov 27 12:53:40 GMT 2022

On Sun, 27 Nov 2022, Simon Wilson via Nut-upsuser wrote:

> Per https://networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/ar01s06.html 6.3, am
> I right in thinking, for my single server running NUT (in standalone mode)
> with connected USB UPS:
>
> - when battery.charge reaches battery.charge.low: ups.status triggers to "LB"
> and upsmon sets an FSD in motion
> - upsmon waits FINALDELAY 5 seconds, and calls my shutdown command (which
> then in sequence does a clean shutdown of my VMs before calling the 'real'
> shutdown command)
> - my server then shuts down and powers off
>
> Main question:
>
> "ups.delay.shutdown" - at what point does this variable kick in? Is
> ups.delay.shutdown the period in seconds after FSD that the UPS will
> hard-shutdown, i.e. I need to ensure that my server can complete clean
> shutdown in that duration?

Yes, you do need to give your server sufficient time.
My understanding is that the ups.delay.shutdown is overwritten by the offdelay
option in file ups.conf.

In the machine with which I type this, I have

  rprice at titan ~ upsc Eaton ups.delay.shutdown
  20
  rprice at titan ~ grep offdelay /etc/nut/ups.conf
          offdelay = 30

See https://rogerprice.org/NUT/ConfigExamples.A5.pdf chapter 2.5, and chapter
2.7 line 77.

Roger