[Nut-upsuser] APC SmartUPS powercycles when power returns

Manuel Wolfshant manuel.wolfshant at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:18:58 BST 2022

On October 11, 2022 5:04:45 PM GMT+03:00, Andrea Venturoli via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:
>On 10/11/22 15:48, Roger Price wrote:
>
>>> ups.firmware: UPS 08.8 / ID=18
>>> ups.mfr: American Power Conversion
>>> ups.mfr.date: 2014/06/20
>>
>> How old is the battery?
>
>~2.5 years.
>The above date was probably not updated when it was changed.
>
>Could a faulty battery pack produce this???
Usually, not. The usual behaviour with (old|faulty) battery is sudden drop of battery capacity from 100% to 0 or close to 0 and instant death, probably without offering the protected systems to do a proper shutdown sequence. Many times the battery also pretends to recharge very fast.

>I mean, it keeps the systems up as long as line power stays off, can it then fail when the power returns???
Nope

>I've had several such UPSes and never saw this.
>However, if someone has seen this behaviour I'll try changing the batteries.
I've never seen this either. I do not think that batteries are at fault. OTOH I would not be surprised if an 8 yrs old UPS is defective.

wolfy