[Nut-upsuser] How to change shutdown notification threshold on Fortron UPS Champs (blazer_usb)?

Pavel Hofman pavel.hofman at ivitera.com
Fri Sep 2 12:26:02 BST 2022

Hi Roger,

Thanks a lot for your hints.

Dne 29. 08. 22 v 15:14 Roger Price napsal(a):
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022, Pavel Hofman wrote:
>
> blazer_usb reports:
>
>>> ups.model: WPHVT2K0
>>> ups.productid: 5161
>
> The Fortron site
> https://energy.fsp-europe.com/uninterruptible-power-supply/ has no
> mention of these references.  I wonder where blazer_usb found them?

It just (auto)magically works :-)

>>> ups.status: OL
>
> If you unplug the UPS from the wall, and run it down, maybe with a dummy
> load, do you see OB, LB, other statuses?

Yes, OB -> OL

>>> battery.voltage.high/nominal/low: 52.00/48.0/41.60
>
> Does the battery.voltage drop regularly as the UPS exhausts itself?

Yes, the voltage drops as the battery discharges.

> If battery.charge.low is not available, perhaps it is possible to get
> the same effect by watching the voltage drop to a critical value.  This
> needs upssched and a custom upssched-cmd script.

I see. IIUC since I basically want to "override" the LOWBATT event, not
to react to it, I will have to periodically parse upsc output and check
for the current battery.voltage level when OB. It means basically doing
all the work ups-monitor actually does, but with a different threshold
(which I do not see how to change in ups-monitor). Do I assume correctly
I cannot force/script ups-monitor to do that for me since it already has
all the parsed data available?

Can I at least call some ups-monitor feature to start the controlled
shutdown on all the NUTS networked clients?

> The alternative is to shutdown after a fixed time in status OB.  Its my
> preferred solution since I live in an area with a lot of lightning
> strikes, but few people seem to do it.

Thanks. I do not know the times exactly, checking the battery voltage
with a standalne script will probably work fine.

Best regards,

Pavel.