[Nut-upsuser] SNMP installation

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 08:02:22 BST 2023

Specify the ups.conf data points including the IP address/hostname of the
UPS as "port", the community (for SNMPv1/2) or real auth (v3), and
optionally the MIB you prefer (by default the driver auto-picks known
vendor extended MIBs until it tries the IETF standard MIB as the final
fallback).

Make sure firewalls permit stuff (with SNMP usually being UDP so there may
be no session to auto-permit replies based on your outgoing requests -
depends on firewall engine). Likewise, wrong auth and hence no reply is
indistinguishable from unavailable server since there is no dialogue to
tear down.

Note that SNMPv3 relies on SSL capabilities and that depends on the library
versions NUT was built against. There were enhancements to that after NUT
v2.7.4 (which is old, but still is the version which some distros package),
so some woes may be due to that.

Does nut-scanner discover the UPS?

Otherwise, the usual questions: which UPS, which NUT version, what config
you try, what error messages say, did you try higher debug verbosity?..

Hope this helps,
Jim Klimov