[Nut-upsuser] Enhanced driver troubleshooting

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Apr 25 00:42:32 BST 2023

On 4/24/23 17:11, Jim Klimov wrote:
> You mentioned the RPi runs a buster-based OS?

yup raspios, buster. I'd have moved on but the bullseye python is too
new and linuxcnc can't use it.  The lcnc guys are busy making it work
for bookworm and haven't had time to backport for bullseye. I have a
couple SSD's plugged into the usb3 ports on the pi4b and have the
complete lcnc buildbot available. My whole system is behind an old
buffalo router running dd-wrt, so I'm well insulated from the black hats.

> I suppose the simplest way is you can forgo the init-scripts and retain
> just the systemd services (as listed in the article - including the
> nut-driver-enumerator which would create nut-driver at myups.service based in
> the ups.conf section).
>
> Jim

humm, you can elaborate on that? There are several different sets there
and I must have followed the wrong set.

Thanks Jim.

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 9:03 PM gene heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/24/23 14:05, Jim Klimov wrote:
>>> "I'd thought you'd never ask" (C)
>>>
>>> Can you give this walkthrough a shot?
>>>
>> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/wiki/Building-NUT-for-in%E2%80%90place-upgrades-or-non%E2%80%90disruptive-tests
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>> I used this section of that link to build the new one:
>> This goes similar to usual build and install from Git:
>>
>> :; cd /tmp
>> :; git clone https://github.com/networkupstools/nut
>> :; cd nut
>> :; ./autogen.sh
>> :; ./configure --enable-inplace-runtime # --maybe-some-other-options
>> :; make -j 4 all && make -j 4 check && sudo make install
>>
>> configure was very noisy but no show-stoppers
>> Stopped it all before the install, and had to sudo systemctl
>> reload-daemons and now on restart, get
>>    pi at rpi4:/media/pi/workspace/nut $ sudo /etc/init.d/nut-server start
>> [ ok ] Starting nut-server (via systemctl): nut-server.service.
>> pi at rpi4:/media/pi/workspace/nut $ sudo /etc/init.d/nut-client start
>> [ ok ] Starting nut-client (via systemctl): nut-client.service.
>> pi at rpi4:/media/pi/workspace/nut $ sudo /etc/init.d/ups-monitor start
>> pi at rpi4:/media/pi/workspace/nut $ upsc myups
>> Error: Connection failure: Connection refused
>>
>> I did a sudo cp -R /etc/nut to /etc/nut-bak so I've got all the old
>> config I hope. Whats next? And thanks Jim.
>> take care & stay well.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
>> --
>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>    soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
>> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>>    - Louis D. Brandeis
>> Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/>

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)