[Nut-upsuser] Question about Tripp-Lite UPS life span

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Feb 7 13:11:58 GMT 2023

> If you can, I suggest
> to also test the new batteries using a decent load ( an incandescent 12V
> automotive light bulb for instance - something in the region of 100W ; I
> have one from my old car, when testing batteries I connect in parallel
> main and high beam )

Cars are not wired for bulbs to use both filaments simultaneously,
so presumably bulbs are not designed to operate with both filaments
on, so bulb will get hotter than designed for, increasing burn/
melt/ glass fracture risk.

I prefer to connect single filaments of 2 or more glass bulbs in parallel.

I've collected half blown bulbs for decades.  Tell friends & car
service garages you'd like their old blown headlamp bulbs, when
they have to replace for new; always just one filament of 2 blows
in use.

While 1 or 2 bulbs are sufficient for quick checking & calculating
internal resistance of batteries, it's nice to have more bulbs in
a collection, to build a mesh of parallel & series to adjust load
current to usually 1/10th of battery's rated Amp hour capacity, for
doing timed discharge tests.

PS Now we're all replacing 230 V (or 110 in USA) incadescent bulbs
for LED to reduce power, I save those too: May help make graduated
test loads for inverters from solar cells + battery systems, or in
case LEDs start to fail from premature aging during next pandemic
or economic/societal disruption, or voltage surge (whether from
fluctuations of human controlled power net, lightning surge or solar
/ EMP pulse etc).

Cheers,
--
Julian Stacey www.StolenVotes.UK/jhs/ Arm Ukraine, Zap Putin.  Brexit broke UK