[Nut-upsuser] Issue with two UPS APC managed from a single PC.

Laurent Taieb laurenttaieb at free.fr
Fri Feb 24 22:17:37 GMT 2023

Hi Jim,

Yes both UPS are on the same machine.

I moved away from Ubuntu and  tried with Kali and got a slightly different issue as the driver even doesn’t start properly.

I used the standard apt-get command to download nut and added libusb-dev which wasn’t by default on kali.

I went to Kali nut web page and downloaded all packages 😊

hiddev0 and hiddev1 have been created in /dev/usb and changed the group to nut as they’ve been created with root group.

I have attached the lsusb traces for the 2 UPS

When starting the driver I got this message

$ sudo upsdrvctl start

Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.8.0

Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.47 (2.8.0)

USB communication driver (libusb 1.0) 0.43

interrupt pipe disabled (add 'pollonly' flag to 'ups.conf' to get rid of this message)

libusb1: Could not open any HID devices: insufficient permissions on everything

No matching HID UPS found

Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Laurent