[Nut-upsuser] [Nut-upsdev] How verbose should NUT be by default?

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Mon Jan 9 21:37:57 GMT 2023

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Specifically, I find all of this to be noise:
> upsmon startup:
>  Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.8.0.1
> again, all knowable statically from config.
>
> upsd:
>  Network UPS Tools upsd 2.8.0.1
>  listening on 127.0.0.1 port 3493
>  listening on ::1 port 3493
>  Connected to UPS [foo]: bestfortress-foo
>  Found 1 UPS defined in ups.conf
> again, all what was configured.

> And a question from me:
>  Have you ever had a situation where the above verbose info, printed on
>  stdout/stderr, was useful in diagnosing a previous problematic
>  shutdown (a real one, not a testing one)?  If so please describe.

1. There is a difference between once-only verbiage and once every hour
verbiage.  Its the every-hour stuff that should not appear by default.

2. The once-only lines confirm that the configuration is correctly set up.

3. Its not just the problematic shutdowns that need help, but also the broken
set-ups.

Cars are required to have indicators that left/right turn signals are operating.
One can argue that they are "noise" since the driver is supposed to know that
he/she is turning left/right.  But a confirmation is deemed essential for safe
driving.  It seems to me that logging « Network UPS Tools upsd 2.8.0.1 listening
on 127.0.0.1 port 3493 listening on ::1 port 3493 » is also essential for safe
shutdown management.

Roger