[Nut-upsuser] Problem with Multiple USB UPSs, including multiple apparent CyberPower

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 20:01:31 GMT 2023

So, regarding wildcards (globs) vs. regular expressions, the latter being
used for such matches, I believe (did not check now) the config sections
should look like this:

[cp]
        driver = usbhid-ups
        port = auto
        desc = "CyberPower UPS CP"
        model = "CP685AVR-G"
        vendorid = "0764"
        product  = "CP.*"

Note the ".*" (dot meaning "any char", asterisk "any amount") so either
"CP" or CP followed by any chars would match. The "CP*" regex means "C"
followed by any amount of "P" (0+).
I *think* this is also sensitive to start/end markers of a string, so as
spelled here a "CP" in the middle of a string would also match. If you want
it at a start, a "^CP" or "^CP.*"  or pedantically "^CP.*$" may suffice.

With examples you posted e.g. "*SL*" the error could be run-time regex
compilation (any amount of what? - for the first asterisk), while the "-x
model" key is unrecognized and so not handled as a regex (or anything else
for that matter).

So also note the lack of "-x" in device section lines, to be clear(er) :)

Finally, try to add the "bus" and "device" numbers as reported by `lsusb`
(NUT drivers started in higher-verbosity debug mode can also report the
values they saw on device but could not match or rule-out), to match
essentially by their non-unique combos, e.g.

[cp]
        driver = usbhid-ups
        port = auto
        desc = "CyberPower UPS CP"
        model = "CP685AVR-G"
        vendorid = "0764"
        product  = "CP.*"
        bus = 003
        device = 001

Note that for older NUT built with libusb-0.1 API support (likely in NUT
2.7.4 and older packages), the device number may be misleading - not the
port number which `lsusb` reports, but just the iteration counter of NUT
lookup, so prone to change with re-plugging of other devices. For
libusb-1.0 API this should be the non-zero hardware-related port number (if
supported by HW/OS/drivers) by default (or iteration counter if OS does not
tell).