[Nut-upsuser] Controlling outlets

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 19:28:41 BST 2023

Unfortunately it is vague, at least on the NUT side, since it really
depends on capabilities of particular hardware (and then on who coded what
in NUT drivers and mapping tables). Often this level of precision is not
available or manageable externally at all, NUT or not (e.g. WebUI of an UPS
might have the abilities, but they are not exposed elsewhere for us to
tickle). I've more often seen such manage-abilities on smarter ePDUs (many
are monitorable, but not all are manageable per socket/group); rarely on
rack-mountable UPSes that have a dozen sockets so group them, and can't
remember if even saw that on smaller devices (even those that expose having
groups like small Eaton Ellipse ECO).

Generally (see docs/nut-names.txt for key words) - and assuming your
device/firmware and our drivers support that level of setup and granularity
- that could be a set up of `outlet.N.delay.start` or
`outlet.n.timer.start` to change a setting that UPS firmware then handles
during (re)start. An alternative might be to somehow set most of the
outlets to not power on by default, and when the server running NUT boots,
it would tell the outlets (or "load groups") to start explicitly via
`outlet.n.switch` command.

Note that if it is documented by vendor, then that might be as "staggered
start-up" which primarily aims to avoid the stress of starting everything
at once (POST usually runs at full power, before computer power-saving
modes based on load/temperature kick in; historically disk spin-up was a
large but short-lived Amps burst, etc.).

Jim