[Nut-upsuser] got nut 2.8.1 but despite reinstall, shows 2.7.4

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon May 22 14:42:11 BST 2023

gene heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> writes:

> On 5/22/23 07:13, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> gene heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> writes:
>>
>>> Which file in the nut I pulled a month ago, should I start with to get
>>> the new version actually running? I still get - -V=2.7.4
>> It is likely that you have built new nut but old nut is still on
>> your
>> system.   I do a 'sudo make install' to write over the distribution nut
>> (on NetBSD/pkgsrc, surely not what you are using).
>>

> I just found the 2.7.4 was a deb its listed in a synaptic search
> Should i purge it?

Sorry, I am not clueful about debian init scripts.  Often the debian
package will add init scripts to what upstream (ie. the nut project)
provides.

A gross hack would be to leave the 2.7.4 package and then build nut from
source with --prefix=/usr (to match the package) and then install over
it and then hand-rm files in /usr that were not written by the install.
And then hope the init scripts call nut the same way.

But really you should get advice from someone who is more
debian-clueful, and not from me!