Moving to Github?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Apr 21 12:27:57 UTC 2010

Nico Schottelius wrote:
> Have a look at
>
>   http://www.nico.schottelius.org/blog/offlineimap-and-hpodder-need-a-maintainer/

Good post -- thanks.

>> I am thinking of moving project hosting for OfflineIMAP, as well as
>> my other projects, over to Github.
>
> If it saves you time - why not?
> If things are working fine on your site, why change it?
> People can always fork right away with git.

It will certainly save me time in the long run.  Ruby on Rails stuff
(which Redmine, the software behind software.complete.org) is terribly
time-consuming to maintain.  It may also save me money, as Redmine can
be exceptionally resource-intensive.  I may be able to get by with less
RAM on my server.

One open question is: do we want to still have a bug tracker?  Some
high-profile projects, such as the Linux Kernel, find that they work
best without.  I am sort of questioning the value of the OfflineIMAP bug
tracker.  There are a lot of things in there that nobody is working on.
  There are also a fair number of duplicate entries.  A bug tracker that
is mostly write-only isn't all that helpful.

Of course, on Github, anyone that forks OfflineIMAP can have a bug
tracker for their own branch, so if someone wants to get testers for a
new feature before it gets integrated into the master branch, they can
still use a bug tracker for that.

Thoughts anyone?

-- John