Changing default database

Rob Browning rlb at defaultvalue.org
Sat Dec 4 23:48:02 GMT 2010

Leif Walsh <leif.walsh at gmail.com> writes:

> As a data point, I would be extremely displeased if the only option
> was a database. Call me old fashioned, but I like plain text a
> lot. Does anyone have benchmarks showing how much faster this is?

As I mentioned when I posted the original patch, I haven't tested the
sqlite storage yet, but I suspect there will be a substantial
performance difference.

I did do quite a bit of testing of the current code a bit back, and for
large maildirs, it's very slow.  It just doesn't make sense to write out
3MB of data (and possibly fsync it) for every single (~3-5k) delivery.

And IIRC, even ignoring the IO, without fsync python pegged the CPU just
trying to write the lines, and I couldn't find a way to get it to push
out the lines more efficiently.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org