Assertion error?

Johannes Stezenbach js at sig21.net
Mon Dec 13 15:15:21 GMT 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 02:21:04PM +0100, Philipp Haselwarter wrote:

> I ran into the same problem, a few times now.
> Moving the message out of the folder, re-running offlineimap and moving
> it back in after a while somehow magically worked, so I'd guess the
> problem is related to something other than the mail itself.
>
> To track it down, I tried running with IMAP-debug activated the last
> time I got a mail that caused the error, but that resulted in a 8MB log
> file; I'll attach an excerpt of it. If anyone is interested in looking
> at the whole log, I'll send it directly, not over the list (or upload it
> somewhere). I hope everyone's okay with .tar.xz?
>
> I'm using offlineimap 6.2.0 with a local dovecot 2.0.8.
>

> Would be great to hear if anyone has an idea of what's going on there!

The relevant line from your log is:

  MainThread: imap:   54:34.72 < CCPB8 NO [CANNOT] Cannot APPEND to a SPAM folder.

But the code is buggy, assert() must not be used to catch error
replies from the server.  There needs to be some better
error handling.  At least some ui.warn() with the result
of imapobj.append() would help users to identify the problem.

HTH
Johannes