X-OfflineIMAP header and Exchange
mussulma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 17:46:07 GMT 2010
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:43 AM, Dominic LoBue <dom.lobue at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Dave Mussulman <mussulma at gmail.com>
> > I found http://software.complete.org/software/issues/show/114 but had a
> > few questions about the patch.
> > The patch only seems to address the X-OfflineIMAP-* header when it's
> > created. Wouldn't a patch also need to modify wherever that header
> > gets parsed/read/sync'd? Or is just changing how it's created good
> > enough?
> > What's the impact of making this change on a large existing sync'd
> > maildir? Would my messages show up as new again? Anything else to look
> > out for before trying the patch?
> My point: would you be willing to work with me to resolve this problem
> once and for all? I'll be able to answer all your questions if you
Dominic, thanks. I'm willing to work with you; if I didn't care, I wouldn't
have mailed the list. :)
> If you do not want to work with me, then to answer your question on
> what effect the patch would have on your existing mail, I see several
> possible scenarios:
> 1. All emails using the X-OfflineIMAP header are duplicated.
> 2. All emails using the X-OfflineIMAP header are deleted.
> 3. Nothing happens.
> I don't think there's a chance in hell scenario 3 will occur though.
I made the change on Monday, and "nothing happened". I backed up my maildir
first, but I didn't change the metadata dirs. As far as I can tell,
everything's working as before. No dupes, no deletions, etc. I made the
change because I wasn't seeing the headers consistently anyway -- some older
messages had them, most newer didn't, which I guessed goes back to
Exchange's mailbox store LHS header store being at or above quota.
My only weird observation is I don't see the X-OfflineIMAP-* headers on my
maildir copies of the mail, or when I IMAP in (with Thunderbird or mutt
directly) but I do see them in Outlook when looking at the message headers.
My running hunch right now is OfflineIMAP wasn't getting those headers
anyway, and was running alright without them. (Although it was setting them
on the messages it saved back to the server.)
I confirmed after my change that the new messages sync'd back have just the
X-OfflineIMAP: LHS header, but again, I don't see that outside of Outlook.
If you're still interested in my data, let me know and we can take this off
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OfflineIMAP-project