Offlineimap is dead, long live offlineimap?

Christoph Höger choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon May 17 11:02:03 BST 2010

Hi guys,

since John finally retired from the project I was wondering how things
should go on from here.

One point for certain is the ongoing maintenance of offlineimap on
github. Since I maintain the fedora package, I will propably send some
patches up there when bug reports come in. But what shall happen with
the tool in the next two years or so? I'd like to discuss some
questions:

1. What exactly (formally) does offlineimap do? How is 'sync my IMAP'
defined properly? Where are the theoretical limitations and usecases?

2. Should we move on to another (compiled) language to make maintenance
easier?

3. Is there anybody who has some interest in answering 1. and 2. for the
long term?

regards

Christoph