Expected semantics of LocalStatus files

Rob Browning rlb at defaultvalue.org
Wed Sep 8 23:04:04 UTC 2010

John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> writes:

> You may be interested to look at the mailing list archives.  Someone
> else has already written a Sqlite3 backend for LocalStatus, and others
> have proposed not saving as often.  I didn't apply the Sqlite3
> backend, IIRC, because it didn't yet have a migration path for current
> users.

OK, thanks.  I'll look at the patch, and if I end up having time,
perhaps I'll investigate adding a migration path.

BTW, how would I find the patch?  It looks like the archives may only be
available via gmane, and gmane appears to strip patches (or at least it
stripped this one):

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/684

> They're critical.  They record the last state of the server.  If a
> LocalStatus file disappears, then there is no way to know what was on
> the server at last sync.  Without that information, there's no way to
> know that a specific message was added, deleted, etc.

Makes sense.  I hadn't had a chance to figure out if they were a cache
for the remote state or the local state.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org