Expected semantics of LocalStatus files

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Sep 8 23:14:16 UTC 2010

On 09/08/2010 06:04 PM, Rob Browning wrote:
> John Goerzen<jgoerzen at complete.org>  writes:
>
>> You may be interested to look at the mailing list archives.  Someone
>> else has already written a Sqlite3 backend for LocalStatus, and others
>> have proposed not saving as often.  I didn't apply the Sqlite3
>> backend, IIRC, because it didn't yet have a migration path for current
>> users.
>
> OK, thanks.  I'll look at the patch, and if I end up having time,
> perhaps I'll investigate adding a migration path.
>
> BTW, how would I find the patch?  It looks like the archives may only be
> available via gmane, and gmane appears to strip patches (or at least it
> stripped this one):
>
>    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/684

That was actually done by the previous list management software.  I'd
say your best bet would be to contact Stuart Smith directly.  If he
doesn't have it, drop me a line and I can probably dredge it out of my
archives somewhere, assuming he sent it to me directly at some point.

>> They're critical.  They record the last state of the server.  If a
>> LocalStatus file disappears, then there is no way to know what was on
>> the server at last sync.  Without that information, there's no way to
>> know that a specific message was added, deleted, etc.
>
> Makes sense.  I hadn't had a chance to figure out if they were a cache
> for the remote state or the local state.

Yeah, sort of a confusing name.  It's a local cache of the remote status.

-- John