Pre-sync

Wed Aug 31 14:50:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:49:43 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Aug 31 2011, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:01:51 -0300, Rogério Brito <rbrito at ime.usp.br> wrote:
> > > Does this mean that if I loose (remove, have it corrupted etc.) my
> > > ~/.offlineimap/ directory, then offlineimap is (should be) able to just
> > > sync my local account with my remote one?
> >
> > Yes, you can recreate a local account with a remote one.

> I'm not sure if this is what you meant

Err, neither am I :-). I meant you can safely blow away your
~/.offlineimap folder *IF* you do IMAP<->Maildir syncing, it will
regenerate everything.

If you delete ~/.offlineimap and you do IMAP<->IMAP, OfflineImap has no
way of knowing which Messages on IMAP1 correspond to IMAP2 (it maintains
a mapping between UIDs on both servers in .offlineimap) and it will
lead to a duplication of each message on each server.

> In that case, will offlineimap be "self-healing"?

IMAP<->Maildir YES, if .offlineimap is missing. If it is corrupted and
cannot be read, offlineimap might abort or whatnot.

IMAP<->IMAP most likely outcome of a missing .offlineimap will be
message duplication and lots of up- and downloads...

> IMVHO, this information could be somewhere in the FAQ or any place in the
> documentation. I have looked for it but only now, coming to the mailing list
> is that things are becoming clearer.

Yes, that info would be nice to have in the FAQ.

> Oh, also regarding another FAQ, I couldn't find decisive answers on the
> safety of hardlinking duplicate messages in a local Maildir.

No one has examined the situation I'd believe. AFAIK, hardlinking
*shouldn't* cause any problems, but it will of course lead to real
duplication on the IMAP side of things, wasting space there.

> > However, it will (currently) only sync those folders where a folder on the
> > remote side already exists (it never creates folders on the remote side).
>
> Yes, yes. I am already used to that.

Hopefully that behavior will change soonish.

> > I have a patch series to change that but it hasn't gone in yet.
>
> Oh, those are great news. I may create a silly gmail account to be a "guinea
> pig" and test it, if you want.

Sure, would be nice to get feedback. I have it working in my branch

pending/Create_Remote_Folders from
git://github.com/spaetz/offlineimap.git

You can get it by adding my repo to your checkout with

git remote add spaetz git://github.com/spaetz/offlineimap.git
git checkout -b create_folders spaetz/pending/Create_Remote_Folders

(untested, but along those lines)

> Judging by the amount of patches sent to the list, I have to really thank
> Nicholas for being the gatekeeper and you for being prolific. :-)

:)