Pre-sync

Rogério Brito rbrito at ime.usp.br
Wed Aug 31 13:49:43 UTC 2011

On Aug 31 2011, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:01:51 -0300, Rogério Brito <rbrito at ime.usp.br> wrote:
> > Does this mean that if I loose (remove, have it corrupted etc.) my
> > ~/.offlineimap/ directory, then offlineimap is (should be) able to just
> > sync my local account with my remote one?
>
> Yes, you can recreate a local account with a remote one.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant (not resyncing everything starting
from scratch), but supposing that I already have a Maildir with the names of
the files already with their UID and FMD5 correctly, and only the
~/.offlineimap/ directory was lost/corrupted.

In that case, will offlineimap be "self-healing"?

IMVHO, this information could be somewhere in the FAQ or any place in the
documentation. I have looked for it but only now, coming to the mailing list
is that things are becoming clearer.

Oh, also regarding another FAQ, I couldn't find decisive answers on the
safety of hardlinking duplicate messages in a local Maildir. The closest
that I could find after browsing and browsing for a good amount of time was

    http://superuser.com/questions/189952/can-i-save-space-in-a-maildir-by-hard-linking-identical-message-files

but the answer was evasive and very generic (of course applications can mess
with hardlinked files---but what about the specific case of offlineimap?).

> However, it will (currently) only sync those folders where a folder on the
> remote side already exists (it never creates folders on the remote side).

Yes, yes. I am already used to that.

> I have a patch series to change that but it hasn't gone in yet.

Oh, those are great news. I may create a silly gmail account to be a "guinea
pig" and test it, if you want.

> > Thanks for maintaining offlineimap,
>
> That honor goes to Nicolas :-).

Judging by the amount of patches sent to the list, I have to really thank
Nicholas for being the gatekeeper and you for being prolific. :-)

Thanks,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de