offlineimap 6.3.4-rc3 crash

Mon Aug 8 15:45:51 BST 2011

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:10:17 -0700, Marc MERLIN <marc at merlins.org> wrote:
> This is most likely linked to the IDLE code, but I kind of have to use it
> since I would exceed my imap BW quota if I did full syncs of my folders all
> the time.

Sorry, can't comment on your IDLE issues, but I don't get this. Doesn't
IDLE need to sync before it goes into IDLE mode as well? Wouldn't using
the "quick" option and some folderfilters help to save bandwidth?

> I re-ran with -d imap, and this is what I get:
> 'handler terminating: "socket error: <type 'exceptions.IOError'> - Too many read 0"'
>
> Is there a way for offlineimap to self recover from that condition instead of hanging?

The problem is that imaplib2 itself hangs before crashing and that can
occur at any place. We probably should protect that place where the NOOP
is being issued against socket errors, close the imap connection and
retry in this case. Any takers?