Sync dovecot to cyrus imap, creates many X-OfflineIMAP headers

chris coleman christocoleman at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 18:50:07 BST 2011

Vincent Beffara wrote:

-----------------------
Hi,

cc> 1) I'm getting X-OfflineIMAP headers on a sync between a Dovecot
cc> IMAP remote server (don't have version number at hand) and Cyrus
cc> IMAP v2.3.16 (very recent).  Aren't these servers supposed to
cc> support UID's ??  I shouldn't be even getting X-OfflineIMAP headers,
cc> right?

Dovecot (as of version 2.0.x) does support UIDPLUS, which is what's
needed here, *but* it doesn't advertise it by default before login, so
we don't know that it does ... Quite easy to patch the source to make it
work but I'm not sure if the capability_banner variable can be modified
via a config file.

Cyrus should work, my config is exactly the same as yours with a patched
dovecot server.

HTH,

        /v
Thanks Vincent.  Unfortunately I don't have control of the remote Dovecot IMAP server so I can't patch that source to add UIDPLUS to the pre-login capabilities banner:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.

This behavior is exactly what Gmail was doing: not advertising UIDPLUS before login, then admitting it supports UIDPLUS after login.

But it's correct according to IMAP protocol.  As the client, we're supposed to be able to deal with untagged updates to capabilities - like UIDPLUS - at any time.

We have to handle this either with a callback or by re-querying the cached value in imaplib2 anytime we're about to make a logical decision that hinges on whether UIDPLUS is supported.

Anyone know if this has been fixed ?

Chris