High CPU usage

Leonid Evdokimov leon at darkk.net.ru
Thu Dec 8 16:48:20 UTC 2011

I'm using offlineimap - 6.3.3-3ubuntu1 from stable ubuntu repo and I
experience high CPU usage (80-100% of one i7 core) during
synchronization of really huge folder (say 200'000 messages).

Is it known bur and/or is there any workaround for that?

I have following configuration file, if it matters

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
[general]
metadata = ~/.offlineimap
accounts = foobar
ui = Blinkenlights
socktimeout = 120
fsync = false

[Account foobar]
localrepository = LocalFoo
remoterepository = RemoteBar
autorefresh = 5

[Repository LocalFoo]
type = Maildir
localfolders = ~/Mail

[Repository RemoteBar]
type = IMAP
remotehost = imap.example.org
ssl = yes
remoteuser = darkk at example.org
maxconnections = 2
subscribedonly = yes
folderfilter = lambda name: name.endswith(('|xxx-debug', '|yyy-debug',
'|bbs', '|xxx-root'))
------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------

I've also seen alike bug in ubuntu bugtracker[1], but it has nothing
common with xrefed debian bug[2] as soon as my connection should be
rather stable as far as I see.

strace shows nothing really suspicious except constant rewriting of
/home/darkk/.offlineimap/Account-foobar/LocalStatus/blahblah.yyy-root.tmp
for, probably, every message - but that's just my best guess.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/offlineimap/+bug/364481

WBRBW, Leonid Evdokimov
xmpp:leon at darkk.net.ru && http://darkk.net.ru
tel:+79816800702 && tel:+79050965222